Welcome to the Brahms Festival
Johannes Brahms was one of the most outstanding composers of the 19th century. His music consistently fascinates us to this day. Since 1992, MHL has devoted a very special festival to him every year: jointly, the faculty and students of the university implement the music of the Hamburg-born composer in many diverse relations – to friends and kindred, role models and successors, to landscapes and cultures, to history and present.
With the Brahms Institute at MHL founded in 1991, the University has one of the largest collections on the life and work of the composer and his time. The scientific study of music directly unites the Brahms Festival with the artistic training in a special way. This makes the Brahms Festival what it is: something unique in the German higher education landscape.
The next Brahms Festival takes place in May 2017. All information will be published here.
The motto of the past Brahms Festivals
- 2016: Metamorphoses
- 2015: All'ungarese
- 2014: Longing
- 2013: Fixed Star Beethoven
- 2012: Brahmsiade
- 2011: Dedicated to Brahms
- 2010: Brahms - New Tracks
- 2009: Brahms and the Music of the South
- 2008: Brahms and the Bourgeois Musical Culture
- 2007: Brahms and the Dialogue with History
- 2006: Inspiration - Fascination: Brahms, Mozart, Schumann
- 2005: Brahms and the Traditions of the North
- 2004: Brahms - Landscapes: Bohemia and Moravia
- 2003: Brahms - Contrasts
- 2002: Brahms - Friends and Kindred Spirits
- 2001: Brahms and Vienna
- 2000: Homage to Bach
In 2006, the Brahms Festival and the Brahms Institute at the MHL were awarded the Brahms Prize of the Brahms Society Schleswig-Holstein. The 10 000 euro prize has been awarded since 1988 to individuals and institutions that have made outstanding contributions to the care and continuation of the music of Johannes Brahms and its artistic heritage.