100 years MHL. In 2011, the University of Music Lübeck celebrated its anniversary with more than 50 special events and projects. From a private initiative, professional music education was born in Lübeck back in 1911. Founded according to the model of the first German Conservatory of Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy in Leipzig, the piano teacher Louise Kaibel opened the Lübecker Konservatorium der Musik in »Schüsselbuden No. 2«. Over the course of history, the institution changed rank and status several times. Until the State of Schleswig-Holstein's only training center for music professionals granted the school university status in 1973. Outstanding artists, such as the composer Hugo Distler have worked in the management and training of the predecessor institutions. They laid the foundation for developing MHL, which is an internationally acclaimed center of education.
The predecessor Institutions
- Lübecker Konservatorium der Musik and Vorschule (1911–1923)
- Lübische Singschule (1923–1933)
- Lübecker Staatskonservatorium and Hochschule für Musik (1933–1937)
- Landesmusikschule Schleswig-Holstein (1938–1950)
- Schleswig-Holsteinische Musikakademie and Norddeutsche Orgelschule (1950–1969)
- Staatliche Fachhochschule für Musik (1969–1973)